Sunday, May 13, 2007

Moma Mia

Well it is officially Mother's Day. And this year this tradition of celebrating Motherhood seems a lot less cliquce than usual for me. This is the first time I think I really appreciate this typical selfabsorbed Hallmark Card Holiday.

I have been thinking a lot about my relationship with my Mom over the years. I think Mother daughter relationships go through distinct phases. As you move though your childhood on your way to becoming an adult the relationship is molded, as a child I thought my mother could do no wrong, god I idolized her. As a teenager I squabbled with her at every turn, it was almost a challenge for me, every word she said struck a nerve.I really was an ass.

But Now, as an adult, perhaps I've realized that my Mom can be an ally - and maybe even a friend. It amazes me how she can read me. How she can know, with just one spoken word my mood, whether I am anxious, sad, or worried. Too bad I can't find the strength to share the details of events that percipitate those feelings with her, instead of just acknowledging that I am feeling them.

The mother-daughter relationship has been called the strongest bond in human history, I definately think mine is moving in that direction.At least I hope so. In hindsight I wish I hadn't wasted so much time being indifferent to our relationship, time wasted that can't be retrieved. Time I am sure to one day reget letting slip away.

I love you Mom, Happy Mother's Day
Kat
 
ss_blog_claim=b289af380b6060d9a4092120e0caa09a